Hello my lovely friends, so glad you have joined me today. I am going to be sharing with you all my recipe for Menudo.
Menudo is a traditional Mexican dish, served a lot during the holidays. The main ingredients are made up of honeycomb tripe, which is going to be the inner lining of the cow stomach and pigs/beef feet. I ate it a bit when I was younger but have really learned to love it more now that I am older. I still ate it even once I found out what it exactly it was. It is just that good!
Menudo needs to definitely cook for some time for it to be really good and get that great taste. They have pre made packets of the seasoning for easy making, but I decided to make it and come up with my own measurements for this dish. It is definitely not easy but I did it. For my first tie I definitely loved the way it came out, and all be making it more during the holidays.
16 Cups of water
4 Whole garlic cloves
3 Cups red onion- 2 Cups sliced, 1 cup diced
6 bay leaves
7 TBSP Chile powder
1 TBSP Ground oregano
2 TBSP Salt
1/2 TBSP Cumin
3 TBSP Paprika
1 TSP Garlic Powder
1 TSP Onion Salt
1 TSP Pepper
3 LBS Tripe
# Pigs/Beef Feet
32 OZ white hominy
3 limes- sliced
1 Bunch Cilantro- minced
- Gather your pot and add your water, add your pigs feet and honeycomb tripe. Let this simmer for about an hour.
- Add your sliced onions & bay leaves, garlic cloves,5 TBSP chile powder, ground oregano, salt, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion salt, & pepper.
- Let this come to a boil for about 10 minutes then bring to a simmer.
- Let simmer on low for about 6 hours, overnight or during the day. the longer it sits the better it will be. The last hour add your hominy. If more chile powder is needed use the remaining 2 TBSP.
- Once it has simmered to the right amount, it is ready to be served.
- Ladle into a bowl and add your limes, diced onions, and cilantro for flavoring. Use your choice tortilla to dip in the juice and enjoy 🙂
You can find many of these items at your local meat market. This is the perfect dish for the fall/winter season. This is the perfect weekend breakfast to sit down and enjoy with your family. This is an awesome dish to share with your family during the cold season. IT is nice and warm to keep you all warm and nice. I hope you all enjoy this recipe and let me know how this tasted and what improvements you think I could make to this.
Thank you all for stopping by the blog today. What are some of your favorite warm dishes this holiday season?
If you like it Pin it 🙂